WASTE MANAGEMENT AND MEASURING, REVERSE LOGISTICS, ENVIRONMENTALLY SUSTAINABLE PROCUREMENT AND TRANSPORT, AND CIRCULAR ECONOMY
The WREC Project seeks to reduce the adverse environmental consequences of humanitarian logistics through awareness, practical guidance, and real-time environmental expertise. The project is coordinated by the Global Logistics Cluster and supported by a coalition of humanitarian organizations - the Danish Refugee Council (DRC), the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), Save the Children International and the World Food Programme of the United Nations - with input from all Logistics Cluster partners, other humanitarian clusters, the private sector and academic partners. The Project pursues the following goals:
- The humanitarian logistics community is aware of the sector’s environmental impact and adopts a coordinated, scalable and sustainable approach to measure and reduce that impact.
- Humanitarian logistics practitioners are supported to reduce their environmental impacts from waste and transport, not only while their operations are underway but also before they have begun and after they have ended.
2023 Key Events
- 13-15 March 2023, Dubai International Humanitarian Aid and Development - (DIHAD)
- 20-21 March 2023, European Humanitarian Forum (EHF)
- 17-28 April 2023, Humanitarian Networks and Partnerships Week (HNPW)
- 14-15 June 2023, AidEX Nairobi
- 25-26 October 2023, AidEX Geneva
Waste management and recycling assessments
The map displays the waste management and recycling plants by country identified by humanitarian partners in an effort to support with more informed waste management decisions by the humanitarian community. To add mapping and information on your country to the map or to ask questions regarding the information provided, please reach out to the WREC team: Global.WREC@wfp.org
The challenges of waste management and pollution prevention are cross cutting. No single actor can solve them alone. We need collaboration and information from partners across the humanitarian space to share best practices, unique challenges, test cases, and initiatives to be able to make the biggest impact on our collective world.
Have you engaged in a local initiative on sustainability you’d like to share?