The Port of Beirut lies within a longitude of 35 57' E and latitude of 35 15'N, forming the midpoint of three continents: Europe, Asia and Africa making the Port a passage for ship fleets between East and West.
During the mid 70's, the Port of Beirut was an important international trading station with the surrounding Arab countries and trough the present day it has preserved its commercial nature.
The port of Beirut has a total area of 1,200,000 m2
- Water basin total area: 1,002,000 m2
- Quay 16 water basin area: 200,000m2 with 550m detached break water
- Total length of quays 5,155m of which:
- 1,654m for general cargo operation: depth between 8m and 10,5m
- 1,334m for containers operation: depth between 10,5m and 13m
- New container quay (No.16) with 15,5m depth and 600m length
- 220m bulk quay with 13m depth
All quays are equipped with water outlets for ship servicing.
General Cargo Area
- Warehouses for general cargo: total area 25,547m2
- 3 warehouses for groupage operation: total area 20,488m2
- 3 warehouses for cars: total area 17,958 m2
- 1 warehouse for hazardous goods: total area 5,231m2
- 1 open warehouse for cars and heavy load engines: total area 8,220m2
Total capacity: 120,000 tons
- 48 big cells: capacity 2,500tons/cell
- 50 small cells: capacity 500tons/cell
- Suction speed: 600tons/hour
Free Zone: capacity 475 cars
- Administrative bldgs. gate: capacity 160 trucks
- Gate No.9: capacity 140 trucks
- 6 mobile cranes for containers: capacity 255 to 300 tons.
- 13 mobile cranes for containers: capacity 125 to 165 tons
- 35 mobile cranes for steel: capacity 50 to 90 tons
- 12 mobile cranes for general cargo: capacity 25 tons
- 33 top loaders for containers (full)
- 6 forklifts for empty containers
- 30 trucks
- 78 trailers
- 7 tractors
- 2 water cisterns
New Container Terminal
Stacking area: 244,600m2, Capacity: 700,000TEU/year.
- Reefer: 440 points.
- 4 ship-to-shore gantry cranes (quay 16): outreach 60m.
- Duty Free Market: total area 11,200m2 (modular shops)
- 3 Industrial buildings: total area 32,400m2:
- 52 warehouses/bldg of which 16 on ground floor
- Approx. 200m2/warehouse
Gestion et exploitation du port de Beyrouth (GEPB)
Address: Beirut - Quarantaine Region
P.O.Box : 1490 - Beirut, Lebanon
Tel : +961 - 1- 580211/2/3/4/5/6
Fax : +961 - 1- 585835
For more information on Beirut Port, please click: http://www.portdebeyrouth.com/index.asp?x=0
Source: The Beirut Port's Website