Document type Situation Update
Publication date 26/12/2013
- Logistics Cluster meetings are regularly held in Tacloban, Guiuan, Omroc, Cebu, Roxas and on a periodic basis in Manila.
- The Logistics Cluster has dedicated IM officers in Cebu and Tacloban and GIS capacity in Cebu along with a plotter. Regularly updated maps are available at:http://www.logcluster.org/ops/phl13a
Border Crossings & Customs
- Following the initial phase of the humanitarian response during which customs procedures were expedited in order to ensure the fast entry of relief items, the normal customs procedures must now be followed for the import of all cargo. The One Stop Shop and the Logistics Cluster remain available to assist in an advisory role if required. Advice requests can be sent to Oliver Bartolo (LET Customs Procedures Advisor, +63 9158481559).
- A Korean Military Engineering contingent is expected shortly to support the Philippines Government with heavy engineering equipment and technical engineering capacity; this support to also be extended to the humanitarian community. They will operate in Tolosa, Palo and Tanuan, with an operation centre in Cebu.
- As of 26 December, UNHAS has transported 1,800 passengers and over 7 MT of humanitarian cargo. 300 flights have been executed to 20 different locations.
- UNHAS is now operating two flights a day between Cebu and Tacloban (morning and afternoon), however in line with the decrease in demand to Roxas and Guiuan, flights in and out of these locations now take place 3 times a week. UNHAS will not be operating scheduled flights on 01 January 2014, though will remain on STAND BY for emergency situations.
- Current UNHAS fleet is 1 x Beech 1900 and 1 X Sikorsky 76 both based in CEBU. A Dornier 228 (18 seats) is being contracted as a replacement of the Beech 1900 with effect from January 1st 2014.
- UNHAS is working with Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) in order to upgrade rescue and firefighting capability at Guiuan Airport. This action will enable UNHAS schedule fixed wing aircraft (more than 10 seats) to fly safely to and from Guiuan with the view to terminate the remaining rotary wing aircraft.
- For reasons of maintenance and crew rest, flights will no longer take place on Sundays, however UNHAS remains on emergency standby and can be reached on:email@example.com Tel: 09158616981/09276029005.
- IMC has reported that there is a destroyed bridge in the vicinity of Burauen City, south of Tacloban. The Bridge is the only access point for Barangays. This has slowed down the delivery of assistance to the locations as the only passage is a makeshift bridge that permits the passage of a single motorcycle.
- To date the Logistics Cluster has facilitated the transport of 5,844m3/3,593 MT of inter-agency cargo by Road.
- The LCT Victoria left CEBU on 24 December for Roxas and Bantayan carrying cargo on behalf of 8 different organizations. She reached Roxas on 25 December and off-loading started on 26 December. The LCT Victoria is scheduled in Bantayan is 28 December 2013.
- As of 26 December, the Logistics Cluster has facilitated the transport of 7,595m3/2,505 MT of inter-agency cargo by Sea.
- As of 26 December, 98 requests for storage have been received and 5,299m3/1,837 MT has been stored in inter-agency warehouses.
- A warehouse assessment was conducted in Tacloban and Map of the results has been published at: http://www.logcluster.org/ops/phl13a/commercial-warehouse-assessment-tacloban-131224
- Without visibility on the upstream pipeline of organizations using Logistics Cluster activities it is difficult to plan sea transport and storage capacity requirements for the upcoming period.
- Commercial sector shipping from Manila and Cebu to Tacloban remains overstretched, causing some delays in cargo delivery
- Road transport capacity deficiencies are presenting some difficulties for partners in the Guiuan area, especially with an increase in volumes when sea transport cargo needs to be received.
- Commercial warehousing in general remains limited. However, Logistics Cluster storage is available in key locations.