Coordination & Information Management/GIS
A strategic coordination meeting was held in Tacloban on 23 January to provide a general operational overview and outline the Logistics Cluster plans to phase down operations. The following timelines were also shared with the partners:
- Support operations through increased assessments, sharing of information on Commercial alternatives, rightsizing staffing, enhanced HQ/CO support, increased local capacity. No later than April 2014
- Provide specific transport services to meet identified gaps. No later than mid-February 2014
- Provide temporary (72 h) buffer storage capacity in identified locations where capacity remains limited. No later than April 2014
- Building capacity and transferring knowledge through briefings and hands-on courses including generator use & maintenance, mobile storage unit (MSU) assembly, warehouse management, Logistics Cluster SOPs.
Partners were also reminded about the Logistics Cluster mandate and role as a last resort and encouraged partners to start using more sustainable solutions, they concurred with the proposed strategy. The partners however, stressed that they may require continued support with temporary storage in Tacloban until longer term solutions and commercial opportunities become fully available and suitable.
- The Logistics Cluster continues to provide above services out of Cebu, Tacloban, Roxas and Guiuan.
Border Crossings & Customs
- The One Stop Shops are operational in Manila and Cebu. However, one of the signatories (Department of Finance) in the Cebu OSS will not be available on 27 and 28 January. Their working timings are from 08:00- 17:00 (Mon to Fri). Contact details are available by contacting the Logistics Cluster.
Access constraints and Assessments
- The access constraints map for Visayas was updated as of 22 January 2014 and can be viewed at: http://www.logcluster.org/ops/phl13a/visayas-access-constraints-as-of-22-january-2014
- The Logistics Cluster is supporting its partners by carrying out and continuously updating logistics assessments including commercial warehousing, transporters and airports/ports in the affected areas. This will enable partners to access the local market for their logistical needs. The latest assessments carried out can be viewed at: http://www.logcluster.org/ops/phl13a
Transport (Overland and Sea)
- The Logistics Cluster no longer charters dedicated assets for transport. However, it continues to provide transport services to partners on an ad-hoc basis where there are gaps in capacities or access constraints by co-sharing WFP resources.
- There is an increase in partner’s demand for medium/short term storage in-line with their shifting from emergency to recovery phase and also due to less visibility of their pipelines and distribution plans.
- The Logistics Cluster continues to provide temporary storage in Cebu, Roxas, Tacloban, Guiuan and Ormoc.
- A basic warehouse management training in handling NFIs is planned in Roxas next week, tentatively on Tuesday or Wednesday.
- A briefing/demonstration on generator use and maintenance will be organized in Tacloban on 1 February primarily for the national staff. Interested organizations should submit their staff’s details to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB Tuesday, 28 January.
- The Logistics Cluster is seeking interest of its partners to enhance local capacity through the design and implementation of practical /tailored training sessions including generator use & maintenance, MSU assembly, warehouse management, Logistics Cluster SOPs in Tacloban and other areas as needed.
- UNHAS is encouraging partners to start using the commercial options as they are now available.
- The flights from Cebu to Tacloban have reduced from two to one daily from Monday to Saturday, operational until 31 January.
- From 1 February, UNHAS will only serve the locations not accessible by commercial flights including Roxas, Guiuan and Borongan on Mondays and Fridays. On Wednesdays, UNHAS will only fly for MSF to most probably Guiuan.
- UNHAS is available seven days a week for emergencies including medevac and/or missions.
- Proposed UNHAS schedule for February and weekly commercial flight schedules can be viewed at : http://www.logcluster.org/ops/phl13a/unhas-flight-schedule/view